Teacher Forces 4 Year Old to Change Hands When Writing
1) What evidence might be most convincing that one hand is better than another? To what degree can we judge the historical record on this subject?
2) Why might a baseball player feel differently about this story than an author? Why might Paul McCartney feel differently than Barack Obama?
3) In what ways is this connected to art? To what degree is this connected to recess?
4) How might this have been different if it was pro-left-handedness? The same?
5) Is this significant to you? What are the basic assumptions about "handedness"? What are the long-term effects of this story on the child?
1) Students can create an "Opposite Hand Day" and journal their experiences.
2) Students can chart the handedness of their classmates and compare it national characteristics. They can then make predictions about the future.