Banning Books in Support of Literature
1) What makes a librarian "trained"? What is the most convincing evidence that a book is inappropriate?
2) In what ways would a student view this differently than a teacher? Why might a German librarian feel differently than the author about this article?
3) In what ways is this connected to studies of the internet? In which course would this article be appropriate to read?
4) To what degree would this have changed if it was written by an administrator? A Republican candidate for the Presidency? Democratic? How might the author have changed their methods to produce the desired results?
5) To what extent is this significant? What are some assumptions about freedom of speech universally or in your society?
1) Students can research the most banned books of all time and predict what kind of book might make the list in the next 5 years.
2) Students can try this experiment in their school and blog about the observations.
AoK: English Language