Israeli Cafe Hopes to Bring Communities Together
1) How could the cafe owner measure the success or failure of his endeavor? How might we find out the true origins of hummus? How might the owner find out if people are abusing the system?
2) Why might an American teenager feel differently about this than an Israeli teenager? In what ways would this story be different if it happened 75 years ago? Why might the yemenite (Arab Jew) feel differently about this than
3) In what ways is this connected to environmentalism? Sports? Cheating on a test?
4) What if the cafe owner had chosen pizza as the item? Hot dogs? In what ways would this story be different if it happened 75 years ago? 20 years from now?
5) What are the short-term consequences of this promotion? To what degree can this affect official policy of the Israeli government? What are the underlying assumptions about Israeli culture in this piece?
1) Students can research the Christmas football match during WWI and draw connections to this story.
2) Students can identify foods that could bring conflicting groups together and compile an "international peace cookbook".