$2 Million Treasure Hunt "Out of Control"
1) Why should we believe that the clues are real? The treasure itself? Do you believe his reasoning for the contest? Why? What questions of evidence in this article are not associated with the treasure itself?
2) Why might his relatives feel differently than others about this contest? To what degree should the New Mexico Tourist Board promote this contest? Why might the director of a non-profit feel differently than a stock broker about this?
3) How is this connected to gym class? In what ways is this connected to "pirate treasure hunts"? Is this more geography or math?
4) What if someone else got injured in the search? What if it's never found?
5) What are the long-term effects of this story? What should be done by the person who finds the treasure?
1) Students can research the value of the coins and create an itinerary to find the treasure and see if it is worth it?
2) Students can compare this to famous searches for treasure (real or fiction) and rank which would have the highest value?