UK Elects Youngest Lawmaker Since 1667
(David Cheskin/PA via AP)
1) What is an appropriate age for legislating? Why? What prevents a similar situation from happening in the US? What evidence do we have that makes the laws in our country? How do we know the ages they prescribed are appropriate? How reliable are the accounts of 1667's parliamentary sessions?
2) Why might her father feel differently than the Prime Minister of the UK? Than a leader of Saudi Arabia? How might her competitor feel similarly to her mother?
3) In what ways is this connected to human rights? How is this related to Math? Sports?
4) What if this story was of a young man? What if this paves a way for younger citizens to be elected? How would this story be different if she studied biology?
5) What is the significance of this event? What are the long term consequences? On which issues will she most likely be effective? To what degree will the future of Scotland be affected?
1) Students can research the youngest rulers of all time and rank their effectiveness or trace their rise to power.
2) Students can write a fictional diary of a citizen living in country where there are age maximums for public service.