Three high school football players have died this week alone
Stephen Dunn/Getty Images
1) What statistical information can help us understand this issue? Can anecdotal evidence help us understand the situation? What are thee limits of the word"dangerous"?
2) Why might the mother of this student and a team mate have similar opinions? Different? Should NFL commissioner Goodell's opinion matter more than your math teacher's?
3) Are there other sports with similar issues? Are there other areas of life dealing with the balance between danger and pleasure? Should cars be banned if we know they are linked to the physical harm of teenagers? What about mental/emotional harm?
4) What might happen if football was banned in public schools? What might happen if all forms of competition was banned?
5) Is this problem prevalent enough to warrant a debate? To whom is this issue most relevant?
1) Students will advocate for the inclusion of video games to the state's high school athletic association by comparing and contrasting traditional sports.
2) Students will review the school's policy on concussions and make recommendations if needed and explain why they might be adequate.
3) Students will design the ultimate "safe" sport to play as an alternative to "dangerous" sports.