16 Year Old Has Helped Name 200,000 Children
1) What numbers are of significance in this article? What evidence would be helpful to the clients that their name is appropriate? If you were seeking a Chinese-influenced name?
2) Whose perspective is represented in this article? Whose is left out? In what ways might a mother's perspective be different than a child's?
3) In what ways is this connected to the culinary arts? Sports?
4) What might happen if a Chinese young woman is discovered doing the same for Europeans?
5) In what ways is this significant? What are some basic assumptions about naming children?
1) Students can research popular names over time and analyze frequency charts to make predictions about the likelihood of people of different ages having certain names.
2) Students can read the chapter of Freakonomics discussing names and how they are connected to social status and predict the names of the future indicating education level or relative wealth.
AoK: Human Sciences
WoK: Language, Imagination