World's Richest Man Buys Stake in New York Times
(AP Photo/Christian Palma)
1) How is the world's richest person determined? How should wealth be determined? What are the most important numbers in the article?
2) Who might have differing opinions are how Slim acquired his wealth? The average Mexican citizen? Bill Gates? The grand children of John Rockefeller? The editor of the New York Times?
3) How is Slim like Jeff Bezos? Rupert Murdoch? William Randolph Hearst? How are they different? How is this connected to your educational experience? How is this connected to geography?
4) How might this story be different if he was not the richest man? What would happen if Bill Gates had increased his stake in a media company at the same time?
5) Is your news biased? Is it reflecting the views of a billionaire? What are the positives and negatives of media companies being funded by very few individuals? Is it better to read clearly biased news or no news at all?
1) Students can research how media companies (local to international) are funded and what they do with their money? http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insider/2015/01/14/disney_the_majority_of_their_revenue_comes_from_their_media_networks.html
2) Students can watch Citizen Kane and rewrite a scene (or the movie) set for today's time.
Post a Comment