Science Shows How Physical Punishment May Change Personality
1) What evidence is used to support the claims? What quotes are most useful? Which numbers are most significant to refuting this study?
2) Why might a teacher have a different perspective than a student on this topic? Why might your great-great grandfather think differently than your future grandchildren? Whose perspective is missing in this article?
3) In what ways is this connected to school? To what degree is this connected to athletics?
4) In what ways would this news be different if it happened 5 years ago? Why might this change if the definition of spanking was extended? Restricted?
5) What is the purpose of the study? What are the possible implications of this article? What are some basic assumptions about punishment in this article? What are some basic assumptions about parenting? In what way is this story significant to you?
1) Students can create a mock article that substitutes the subject of "Spanking" for another issue for comedic effect/satire.
2) Students can conduct a survey of "unpopular opinions" and present their findings.
AoK: Human Sciences
Wok: Reason, Perception