Classic Genetic Myth is Wrong
1) In what ways is wisdom 'conventional'? To what degree should science textbooks be believed? What confers expertise in genetics?
2) Why might an American child feel differently about this than their grandparent? In what ways would a 7th grade science teacher think about this differently than a student?
3) How might this be connected to psychology? Math?
4) In what ways would this story be different if it was about another classic example (i.e. widow's peak, ear lobe)? How would this story be different if it was about genetics more than certainty?
5) What are some under lying assumptions about science in this article? About belief? In what ways is this significant for educational institutions?
1) Students can create a list of debunked artifacts of conventional wisdom and compare them to those in a country of their choice.
2) Students can create a Top Ten list of the most widely believed debunked conventional wisdom in an area of their choice (history, science, nutrition) and survey their classmates. Students can then analyze the results and offer prescriptive advice on combating them when they are encountered again.
AoK: Human Sciences
Post a Comment