The Remains of Spain's "Prince of Letters" Found
1) What evidence is cited in the article? What evidence would be most convincing to scientists? His fans? Who should pay for the exhumation?
2) Would a scientist, author, historian, or mathematician most likely find this more interesting? Why might a Spanish student view this differently than their British counterpart? Why might some find this disrespectful? Why might a Mexican student view this differently than a Canadian?
3) How is this connected to TV show depicting modern forensic crime scene investigations? How is this connected to dinosaurs? How is this connected to literature?
4) How would this be different if it was Shakespeare? A Chinese author? What if Cervantes' body was never found? What if the body was damaged even further during exhumation?
5) Why is it important to find the bodies of historically significant individuals? What are the long term consequences of this discovery?
1) Students can research and identify the most important authors from a variety of languages and countries and present their "Cervantes of their country".
2) Students can track the similarities and differences of famous grave-site discoveries and mysteries.